The “P. Poni” Institute of Macromolecular Chemistry is an Institute of excellence of the Romanian Academy. Established in February 1949, the Institute has a long tradition of over fifty years in fundamental and applied research in the field of organic and inorganic chemistry, polymer chemistry and physics.
Located in Copou Hills and extended on an area of ten thousand square meters (laboratories of synthesis and physico–chemical analysis, conference hall, library, production units, mechanical and electrical workrooms), with a research team whose achievements (papers, patents, participation at national and international meetings, technologies elaborated and implemented in industry) are recognized in Romania and abroad, the Institute is for many years in the first line of the Romanian research and covers practically the whole area of macromolecular compounds science and technology, as well as of polymeric materials.
Our portofolio contains more than 1500 scientific papers published the last ten years (most of them in international journals) and over 100 projects achieved in cooperation with partners from abroad. Only in 2004 the Institute gained through competition 55 internal projects and 5 external ones in FP 6, 6 other projects with European financing being unrolled.